Tuesday 7 February 2017

Wonderful Waitangi Weekend - part 1

I had a wonderful Waitangi Weekend.

I started with my usual run to the farmers' market on Saturday to get my weekly provisions and then spent the rest of the day in my studio working on preparing stock for my new die business, Dieorama. Trixie kept me company and had particularly extreme case of the bouncies, dashing back and forth and binkying.

On Sunday, it was time to sort out the things I had drying in my hot water cupboard.

Dried lemon zest
The lemon zest dried perfectly, having turned a lovely golden brown and still smelled gorgeously lemony. I put the dried rind in a plastic jar with a small desiccant packet to keep it dry, for later use.

My lavender too, turned out beautifully and still retained its amazing fragrance. I cut the stems shorter so that I could get them into a large ziploc bag. I'll the pieces I cut off as lavender-scented toothpicks/mini skewers. Again I added a desiccant to the bag. Storing them like this means I can either use the flower stalks whole or use just the flowers that collect at the bottom of the bag.

I also packed up more dried rose petals that I am collecting from the two profusely-flowering yellow rose bushes by my front door. Not sure what I'll do with them, but it seemed sad to let them go to waste.

With all the latest dried items packed away, I set about making some bath bombs and experimented with a lemon lavender fragrance combination. I used lemon and lavender essential oils along with about 2 tbsps each of my dried lavender flowers and lemon zest. For molds, I used an ice tray and plastic ice sphere molds I found at Kmart some time ago – useless for making ice as they're not watertight and the water just runs straight out along the seam as soon as you fill them, but not too bad as molds for bath bombs.
Lemon and lavender bath bombs
By the time I was done, I was sweltering. Summer, it seemed, had arrived at last. I regretted that I still hadn't made any lemon cordial as a lemonade would've been perfect as I headed outside for an afternoon break on my lounger in the shade of the walnut tree as the heat of the day started to cool. A perfect way to finish off before heading back inside for a relaxing bath fragranced with my new delicious bath bombs followed by some favourite Saturday TV and dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment